WILMINGTON, N.C., ― Today, Novant Health announced a few leadership updates to better facilitate the integration with New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) and establish stronger connections for leaders at the system and local level. The updates will be effective May 1.
Shelbourn Stevens will become president of NHRMC and the Coastal market, which includes oversight of Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center and Pender Memorial Hospital. During his 30-year tenure with Novant Health, he has worked in a wide variety of departments and held numerous leadership roles, including president and chief operating officer of Brunswick Medical Center for many years. Stevens played an integral part in the transition from the original Brunswick Community Hospital to its new, state-of-the-art facility in 2011. Stevens will report directly to John Gizdic, who, as executive vice president and chief business development officer, is accountable for the market along with having other systemwide responsibilities across Novant Health.
Laurie Whalin, PharmD, will become president and chief operating officer of Brunswick Medical Center. She has been with NHRMC for more than 10 years and previously served as vice president of clinical services. In her new role, Whalin will collaborate with market and facility leadership along with physician partners to continue the legacy of providing remarkable patient experiences and world-class care in the region. She will also have responsibility for several services across the region, including imaging, laboratory, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, neurosciences and cancer.
“I’m excited to see these leaders in their new roles that will not only positively impact the local community, but also Novant Health as a whole,” Gizdic said. “These changes reflect the steps we are taking as a system to fully integrate Novant Health and New Hanover Regional Medical Center in our pursuit to deliver advanced, accessible and remarkable care to the area.”
In addition, Novant Health announced the following changes:
· Andre Boyd will remain chief operating officer of New Hanover Regional Medical Center, with additional responsibility for surgery and cardiac services across the region, facilities, patient flow and support services.
· Ruth Glaser will be president and chief operating officer of Pender Memorial Hospital, with additional responsibility for home care, rehabilitation services, EMS and transport services.
· Dr. West Paul is the new senior vice president and chief clinical officer for the Coastal market. He was previously the chief clinical officer at NHRMC.
· Dr. Philip Brown will be the system chief community impact officer as part of the Novant Health diversity, inclusion and equity team engaging our community in the advancement of health equity. He was previously the executive vice president and chief physician executive at NHRMC.
· Dr. Joseph Pino will expand his local responsibilities to include systemwide medical education as the senior vice president of medical education.
To learn more about the integration of Novant Health and NHRMC, visit NovantHealth.org/NHRMC.
About Novant Health
Novant Health is an integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient facilities and hospitals that delivers a seamless and convenient healthcare experience to communities in Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. The Novant Health network consists of more than 2,400 physicians and over 37,000 employees that provide care at more than 800 locations, including 18 hospitals and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. In 2020, Novant Health was the only healthcare system in North Carolina to be included on Forbes’ Best Employers for Diversity list. Diversity MBA Magazine has also ranked Novant Health third on its 2019 list of “Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work.” Novant Health provided more than $1.02 billion incommunity benefit, including financial assistance and services, in 2020.