WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., June 15, 2021 Nearly 16 months after the first COVID-19 cases hit North Carolina and six months into vaccine distribution, Novant Health announced today that it has administered over 500,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, which represents more than 253,000 fully vaccinated individuals. To mark this milestone, Novant Health has provided additional data that summarizes its efforts to-date of managing COVID-19 testing and treatment, as well as vaccine distribution.
Half-a-million doses is an incredible achievement and represents the countless hours of planning, implementation and dedication that went into our pandemic response, said Carl S. Armato, president and CEO of Novant Health. Our team has worked around the clock since the pandemic began to deliver remarkable care, and todays news shows a big step toward normalcy for our communities.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Novant Health has:
- Administered more than 668,000 COVID-19 tests
- Discharged nearly 16,000 patients from our facilities after successfully recovering from COVID-19
- Opened six permanent mass vaccination sites that cover 14 counties across North Carolina
- 2,509 volunteers contributed 34,648 hours at Novant Health vaccination sites
- Vaccinated more than 64% of Novant Health team members and 93% of physicians
- Vaccinated more than 17,000 people at 90 community pop-up events where 71% of attendees identify as a member of a racial or ethnic minority. To date, Novant Health?s vaccination rate for Asian and Black patients at community events is three times that of the general North Carolina vaccination rate
- Deployed mobile health units to priority ZIP codes across its markets to provide easier access to the COVID-19 vaccine and increase vaccination acceptance. So far, more than 900 doses have been administered via the mobile units
The three vaccines we have available today are proven to be safe and even though the number of administered doses is encouraging, we?d like to see that number grow, said Dr. David Priest, Novant Healths senior vice president and chief safety, quality and epidemiology officer. As our communities begin to reopen, we continue to urge people to get vaccinated.
To learn more about Novant Health?s vaccination efforts, please visit GetVaccinated.org.
About Novant Health
Novant Health is an integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient facilities and hospitals that delivers a seamless and convenient healthcare experience to communities in Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. The Novant Health network consists of more than 2,400 physicians and over 37,000 employees who provide care at more than 800 locations, including 18 hospitals and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. In 2021, Novant Health was the highest-ranking healthcare system in North Carolina to be included on Forbes? Best Employers for Diversity list. Diversity MBA Magazine has also included Novant Health on its 2020 list of ?Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work.? In 2020, Novant Health provided more than $1.02 billion in community benefit, including financial assistance and services.
For more information, please visit our website at NovantHealth.org. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook